Old 16-11-2009, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wildbilly Wildbilly is offline

Default Potatoes

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Wildbilly wrote:

I'd appreciate suggestions on other potatoe varieties, not that I'm
unhappy with the Butterballs, but I'm curious as to what other people
like and why.

My own preferences are skewed by the Schoharie Valley, just to the south of
us; I can get any of the ordinary potatoes really really cheap there.
So, I grow yellow fingerlings and "Allblue," plus an assortment of red,
yellow, and blue tubers that I got in a sampler pack from a breeder who
works with some of the original South American lines. Like other veggies,
why not grow the stuff that is expensive or unavailable in the stores?

Dear Lady loves the Radicchio, and you can never have too many sugar snap
peas!

Colors are good for presentations, but how do these heirloom potato
varieties compare in taste to Russets or Yukons? The Butterballs taste
like potatoes, only more so.
--
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist."
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm