Old 16-11-2009, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default Potatoes

Wildbilly wrote:

Colors are good for presentations, but how do these heirloom potato
varieties compare in taste to Russets or Yukons? The Butterballs taste
like potatoes, only more so.

Very favorably. If you haven't seen it, the Moosewood Tubers catalog (Part
of Fedco Seeds) has a chart listing the attributes of the many potatoes it
offers.... I just recall a scale of waxiness that tells you whether to
bake, boil, fry, etc. And as Steve mentioned, the colors are fun. I find
the blue ones keep their color best sliced and pan-fried in as much olive
oil as I can keep Dear Lady from spotting.
For what it's worth, my G.E. combination microwave/convection oven works a
treat for roasting potatoes... in the "Fast Bake" (oven with bursts of
microwave thrown in), you can do several spuds in 15 minutes, and they
taste just like regular oven roasted.