Old 16-11-2009, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default clematis

wrote:
I have what is only described on the label as a "summer flowering
clematis", burgundy colour . First year it flowered, and I cut it back
in the autumn. Next year, masses of foliage, but no blooms, so I
didn't cut it back. This year, again, masses of foliage and now,
halfway through November, a few blooms at the very top of the plant.
Given the lack of information I have about it, I don't know what to do
for the best (or when to do it). Any advice welcome.

I am afraid that this also seems to be my experience with the summer and
autumn flowering hybrids. No problems with alpina and montana, or the
evergreen types such as cirrhosa balearica, armandii, or uncinata. Yet I
see perfect specimens in other gardens, so it must be something I am doing
wrong!

--
Jeff