Old 16-11-2009, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Cyclamen - the bad news and the good news

wrote in message
In article ,
Spider wrote:

Incidentally, I have also grown the hardy types - C. hederifoium and
C.coum - from seed (intentionally, rather than by accident!) with great
success. I have a terrific C.hederifolium with truly gorgeous leaves, and
the tuber is now the size of a small saucer. Masses of flower. I can
recommend it most enthusiastically to anyone who loves cyclamen, but
resents
the cost of a flowering-size tuber. Fresh seed is best, but I started
with
bought dried seed, so it is do-able.

Oh, yes - and, if they like the position, they will naturalise into
a carpet. I have such a carpet in a bed that is in the rain shadow
of the eaves - few weeds grow, but the C. coum loves it. They will
also grow under conifers, where few other things will.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Yes, I have found that, too, Nick. They're little treasures. They don't
seem to take *too* long from seed to flowering size, either .. although
there's only one or two flowers to start with. Quite enough to get one
hooked, I find :~)

Spider