Old 16-11-2009, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default are these really persimmons?

brafield wrote:
Thank you for your help, everyone. Yes, everything points to quinces,
and I have double checked on Google for pics; though how I came to
buy the tree as a 'persimmon' I'll never know!

I'm glad to know the fruit is edible if cooked, because the only time
I bit one I hated it ---

I don't know anybody who eats them raw.

oddly the flowers don't have a particularly
nice aroma either.

The smell of the tree and the fruit is more debateable. Mine don't seem to
have much smell at all yet some say it is very strong.

Too late for this year --- yesterday I had to strip the tree and throw
away the fuit because my annual visitor, a very fat black bear, spent
the night in my garden causing havoc and pooping prolifically. Last
year he ripped off one big branch.

Thanks again.

At least rabbits and kangaroos don't climb trees. I do have to net mine to
keep off the bats, parrots, bower birds and possums.

David