Old 17-11-2009, 09:01 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by brafield View Post
Again, thanks for your help and pointers; now I shall ask some local experts about quince --- perhaps it HAS been ripe and I didn't
recognize the fact ---.
Your photograph shows ripe quinces. They don't soften. I have tried eating a raw piece, and whilst you wouldn't immediately spit it out like you might with some must-cook fruit, the great majority of people would say it isn't very nice.

Though I have heard that the Chinese quince or false quince, Pseudocydonia sinensis, is edible raw if frosted.