Old 17-11-2009, 11:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Potato experiment.

said:

Every year we seem to have volunteer potato plants which have grown
from potatoes we've missed when digging the previous year's crop.
These volunteers always seem to produce a large healthy crop of
tubers.
Because of this, we've been meaning for several years to try some fall
planted potatoes and finally, this year, we managed to plant several
different varieties in about 50 feet of row. It'll be interesting to
see how well they perform.

*sigh* All this talk about potatoes. I decided to give them a pass
this year because the previous two years running the mice/voles
ended up eating more potatoes than we did.

Apparently keeping the garden safe from deer, racoons, possums,
and woodchucks also ends up making it a haven for small rodents.

Picked a good year not to grow potatoes, what with the blight
outbreak. (And with that, recommendations from the extension
service -- which barely survived the state budget slashing -- not to
let any potatoes overwinter in the field.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored