Old 17-11-2009, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Cyclamen - the bad news and the good news

On 2009-11-16 18:39:21 +0000, "Spider" said:

wrote in message
In article ,
Spider wrote:

Incidentally, I have also grown the hardy types - C. hederifoium and
C.coum - from seed (intentionally, rather than by accident!) with great
success. I have a terrific C.hederifolium with truly gorgeous leaves, and
the tuber is now the size of a small saucer. Masses of flower. I can
recommend it most enthusiastically to anyone who loves cyclamen, but
resents
the cost of a flowering-size tuber. Fresh seed is best, but I started
with
bought dried seed, so it is do-able.

Oh, yes - and, if they like the position, they will naturalise into
a carpet. I have such a carpet in a bed that is in the rain shadow
of the eaves - few weeds grow, but the C. coum loves it. They will
also grow under conifers, where few other things will.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Yes, I have found that, too, Nick. They're little treasures. They don't
seem to take *too* long from seed to flowering size, either .. although
there's only one or two flowers to start with. Quite enough to get one
hooked, I find :~)

Spider

We have some under the big cedar tree towards the bottom of the garden.
But others have put themselves whereever they feel like it and it's an
absolute joy to come across a little stream of them tumbling down a
bank, almost hidden from sight. They're absolute beauties. I went
once to a Greek amphitheatre near Corinth - can't think of the name! -
and we climbed to the top of the many ranks of stone seating, to har
the remarkable acoustics from the stage. On our way up, right near the
top was one little flower head, pushing its way up through the stones.
I may have forgotten the name of the theatre but I've never forgotten
that brave little flower.
--
Sacha