Old 17-11-2009, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Spider's garden pics

On 2009-11-17 15:04:19 +0000, "Bob Hobden" said:

wrote...
Bob Hobden wrote:
One thing, if you build it deep enough with straight sides you won't have
Heron problem as they won't be able to wade in it. Ours is a metre deep
at
the sides and although Herons have looked they always fly off empty
beaked.

Then you have to watch out for Kingfishers instead. :-/
(Although they're very pretty when they appear)

You only have a Kingfisher problem with small fish that they can swallow and
usually if the pond is deep enough and has something for the fish to hide
in, couple of pots on their side, they will dive to the bottom and hide as
soon as they spot it.

And not come out days if their reaction to a kingfisher is the same as
to a heron. Every time we get a heron around, the fish disappear to
the bottom and leave me convinced the heron has cleaned out the pond!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com