Old 17-11-2009, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Spider's garden pics

"Janet Baraclough" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" contains these words:
wrote...
Bob Hobden wrote:
One thing, if you build it deep enough with straight sides you
won't have
Heron problem as they won't be able to wade in it. Ours is a metre
deep
at
the sides and although Herons have looked they always fly off empty
beaked.

Then you have to watch out for Kingfishers instead. :-/
(Although they're very pretty when they appear)

You only have a Kingfisher problem with small fish that they can swallow

I'd happily buy or breed small fish if I thought they might induce a
"kingfisher problem" :-)

Minnows would be perfect but they do demand good water quality and some
movement. I have suggested before that White Cloud Mountain Minnows might be
OK and survive outside in the UK but they would need to be introduced in the
heat of summer and, again, they like some movement.
You also need a suitable perch over the pond so it can perch and spy and
then knock seven bells out of any catch.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden