Old 18-11-2009, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default critter friendly yards

"Jean B." wrote in message
Soon I'll be moving, and while I will take a few of my smaller Japanese
maples etc. and put them in part of the front yard, I am thinking I want
most of my yard to be populated by critter-friendly plants--ones that
provide food, nesting spots/shelter for birds and beasts. Currently the
large back yard is rather barren, with pines at the back and toward the
side, so I have a decent amount of open space to chip away at. Depending
on where I plant, and the things I put in eventually providing shade, most
of this will be in sun or partial sun. I don't think that area is arid or
particularly moist. I am in the Boston area and like to allow for all
contingencies, so I generally plant things that are for zone 4. Fairly
carefree but not horribly invasive would be pluses.

I am starting a list of possible plants but wonder whether folks here have
some recommendations. Sites and books would also be most welcome.
Thanks!

Can't help with specific plants but here in Oz, the way to encourage
wildlife is to think in layers like ground hugging, understorey, middle
layer and tree canopy and some fallen material like logs where lizards can
shelter. 'Course that's always dangerous if you don't want snakes, but it
is good for lizards, small marsupials, birds and middle sized animals. The
middle layer and canpoy should enclude a mix of open foliage for the bigger
birds and close coverage where the little birds can hide from the bigger
birds who like them for breakfast. Do you have a local birdwatching group
that may have site information for those who want to encourage birds? The
same things that many birds like is also what other fauna aften likes.