Old 18-11-2009, 01:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jean B. Jean B. is offline

Default critter friendly yards

brooklyn1 wrote:
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:34:21 -0500, "Jean B." wrote:

Soon I'll be moving, and while I will take a few of my smaller
Japanese maples etc. and put them in part of the front yard, I am
thinking I want most of my yard to be populated by
critter-friendly plants--ones that provide food, nesting
spots/shelter for birds and beasts. Currently the large back yard
is rather barren, with pines at the back and toward the side, so I
have a decent amount of open space to chip away at. Depending on
where I plant, and the things I put in eventually providing shade,
most of this will be in sun or partial sun. I don't think that
area is arid or particularly moist. I am in the Boston area and
like to allow for all contingencies, so I generally plant things
that are for zone 4. Fairly carefree but not horribly invasive
would be pluses.

I am starting a list of possible plants but wonder whether folks
here have some recommendations. Sites and books would also be
most welcome. Thanks!

You really ought to live there at least a year before doing any major
planting. Spend your first season planting foundation shurubs, you're
not likely going to want to move those. In your zone spruce trees are
a safe bet, and spruce is deer proof. But I'd wait on shade trees
until you get a feel for where the sun strikes, how the ground drains,
and have a chance to think about any structural additions like
fencing, sheds, and even adding a room... and you'll need time for
planning in case you want a vegetable garden, fruit trees, and berry
bushes, etc.

Thanks for the reminder. I KNOW that is the reasonable approach,
and it is what I have done before. I am just so eager.... And
working on the level of privacy in some areas would be nice.

--
Jean B.