Old 18-11-2009, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default critter friendly yards

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 09:02:22 -0500, "Jean B." wrote:

FarmI wrote:
"Jean B." wrote in message
Soon I'll be moving, and while I will take a few of my smaller Japanese
maples etc. and put them in part of the front yard, I am thinking I want
most of my yard to be populated by critter-friendly plants--ones that
provide food, nesting spots/shelter for birds and beasts. Currently the
large back yard is rather barren, with pines at the back and toward the
side, so I have a decent amount of open space to chip away at. Depending
on where I plant, and the things I put in eventually providing shade, most
of this will be in sun or partial sun. I don't think that area is arid or
particularly moist. I am in the Boston area and like to allow for all
contingencies, so I generally plant things that are for zone 4. Fairly
carefree but not horribly invasive would be pluses.

I am starting a list of possible plants but wonder whether folks here have
some recommendations. Sites and books would also be most welcome.
Thanks!

Can't help with specific plants but here in Oz, the way to encourage
wildlife is to think in layers like ground hugging, understorey, middle
layer and tree canopy and some fallen material like logs where lizards can
shelter. 'Course that's always dangerous if you don't want snakes, but it
is good for lizards, small marsupials, birds and middle sized animals. The
middle layer and canpoy should enclude a mix of open foliage for the bigger
birds and close coverage where the little birds can hide from the bigger
birds who like them for breakfast. Do you have a local birdwatching group
that may have site information for those who want to encourage birds? The
same things that many birds like is also what other fauna aften likes.

Nice to see you here, too! :-)

I have a friend who is an avid bird-watcher, so I can ask her for
guidance. I have become somewhat aware of the layering, but I
should put together a cohesive plan to achieve that.

Maybe you don't think I'd be crazy to start a brush pile!

Without knowing the size of your property and it's terrain it's
difficult to make specific suggestions as to type of plants, but you
might consider spending this winter perusing the various on-line
resources and make a list of those plants in each catagory that appeal
to you and will fit within the constraints of your property (also a
good idea to take notice of your neighbor's plantings with focus on
what parts of your property they shade. For example you may like
Norway spruce and sycamore but those are only suitable for very large
areas, like at least 5 acres... even if they will fit on an acre they
won't look very attractive all squished in... and I wouldn't plant
any trees in a location that were they to fall they could hit your
house... and think about plant roots, you don't want them invading
your foundation/septic. Don't let those tiny nursery plants fool you,
they grow. Also not knowing your age makes it difficult to suggest
what age plants and their growth rates you should be considering... it
makes little sense for someone say over fifty to be planting saplings
and expect to sit in their shade. Then it may be best to purchase
larger/older specimens and pay to have the nursery plant them... even
those listed as fast growing trees don't really grow all that fast...
a typical red maple sapling can take 30 years to become a shade
tree... and you kinda hafta cut growth rate claims by half, they
assume the most ideal conditions, they don't account for poor growth
years; droughts, floods, wind/ice storms... an early hard frost can
easily set a tree back 3-4 years growth. I'd leave the small saplings
and tiny bare root trees for the cash strapped youngsters... you need
to weigh the dollars saved against the years lost.