Old 17-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Drakanthus

Default Suggestions for small shady area

I have a space in my small (2m x 1.5m) front garden that I've left until
last, mainly because I can't find a good plant to put in there.

Requirements a
1) Approx 1m in height, no higher.
2) Not much spread - there is a stepping stone about 30cm from where it will
be planted.
3) Good in shade. This part of the garden receives little sun. North facing
and only gets perhaps 1 hr sun in the evening.
4) Garden colours are reds, purples, pinks and whites so must fit in.
5) Flower-bearing. Nice smell preferable but not essential.
6) Must be fully hardy.
7) It is to be planted beside an 80cm high brick wall.
8) Moist soil.

Any ideas?

Andrew

I suggest:
Primula Wanda (flowers pinky/purple) about 4 inches high, flowers prolifically in
shade, spring flowering (ours look marvellous at the moment - I can email you a
photo if you like).
Astilbie, 2 foot high, flowers pink through to red. Summer flowering.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)