Old 19-11-2009, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Therefore Therefore is offline

Default buying compost

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
news
People seem to know the cheapest/best place to get compost on here!
I need about 10 bags or more to pot up stuff generally, especially
cuttings that have now rooted or need moving on.
Where's the best place to get it from? i wasn't too impressed by the
quality of a local Wyevales compost, very coarse and not that good for
the plants by the way they grew.

Janet

I once bought a lump of pressed coir or I may have received it as a
freebie with other purchases, anyway although it was only coir it
produced the most amazing root systems and growth on potted up plants and
I wonder if I added long term fertiliser to it whether that might be an
option? Several gardeners I know order from individual suppliers who seem
to travel up from the south coast with lorries and deliver say 20 bags at
a time. This compost seems heavier, more like pure John innes but I am
never sure I can trust the quality .

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Slightly O/T investigate your local tip! Mine takes all the garden waste
and composts it. Most gets sold in bulk but if I tip(!) up with my car
and bags they weigh the car as I go in. I then fill the bags from an
enormous, steaming, heap return to the weighbridge where they calculate
the difference and charge me accordingly. I usually come away with a
Peugeot 306 estate with 4 very large tip bags in the back for about £9 and
I'd expect to pay more than double for the same weight/volume from my
local garden centre. If I had a trailer they have a digger and will fill
it for me but I don't so I have to shovel.

It makes a remarkably good growing medium. I filled one raised bed with
it as an experiment and things are growing nicely. In other raised beds
I've been mixing it with the earth (which has a tendency to dry out) and
it's working a treat.

But does it leave a smell int car