Old 19-11-2009, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default More gales...

On 2009-11-19 13:26:16 +0000, Derek Turner said:

Not quite!

Behind St. Brelade Rectory, South facing with a nice big hill to the
west. We really do seem to have our own microclimate.

Passport country. ;-) I'm not even sure where that Rectory is - is it
on La Marquanderie Hill? If so, you have the shelter of the hill behind
you, no?

The address is La Marquanderie. The Rectory is directly west of the
church and fisherman's chapel. Our allotments are immediately to the west
of that. Basically, to our east are the churches and then the bay. To our
west is a steep valley at the top of which is a manor-house (I think). To
the north is some woodland belonging to the the 'big house' and then the
hill up to Redhouses (Marquanderie hill?) with a lovely south-facing
granite wall (on which we plan fan-trained fruit trees) to the south is
the hill with the road that leads up to Beauport and the churchyard
extension. We are sheltered from all but east winds and bask in any sun,
however low and weak.

My mental map is working overtime. Manors in that area.......Noirmont,
perhaps? It once belonged to the Tiarks and probably, rather more
significantly, to Lillie Langtry.. It was Charlie Hungerford's house in
Bergerac's earliest series. Belonged to the father of a friend of
mine at one time and I met Dougie Bader's spare legs there, though
never met the man himself.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com