Old 20-11-2009, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rupert rupert is offline

Default buying compost

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Graham Harrison
writes
Slightly O/T investigate your local tip!

Not a chance!! I know what goes into the compost as i put it there
Ground elder, horsetail, etc etc. Weeds that never die!! And what about
pathogens?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

You beat me to it Janet. You can get compost that is certified as fit for
use but it seems many Councils are not prepared to implement the processes
required to get certification. The compost produced locally by our Council
is partly used in local parks and gardens where at least any potential
outbreak of the dreaded lurgy could be controlled unlike spreading the stuff
amongst several thousand households.
I think I've mentioned it before but the green bags of waste around here
contain garden waste which includes cans, crisp packets, nappies, dog and
cat poo, plant pots etc.--in fact they contain anything that might be found
in a Garden.