Old 20-11-2009, 10:56 AM
prologica prologica is offline
Registered User

I bought a few loads from a compost farm who converts green waste from East Herts tips. But now East Herts are collecting compostable waste from the house and are telling householders to include ALL FOOD WASTE with the green material...YES EVEN MEAT WASTE!!!.

I will not be buying such compost again!

Slightly O/T investigate your local tip! Mine takes all the garden waste
and composts it. Most gets sold in bulk but if I tip(!) up with my car and
bags they weigh the car as I go in. I then fill the bags from an enormous,
steaming, heap return to the weighbridge where they calculate the difference
and charge me accordingly. I usually come away with a Peugeot 306 estate
with 4 very large tip bags in the back for about £9 and I'd expect to pay
more than double for the same weight/volume from my local garden centre.
If I had a trailer they have a digger and will fill it for me but I don't so
I have to shovel.

It makes a remarkably good growing medium. I filled one raised bed with it
as an experiment and things are growing nicely. In other raised beds I've
been mixing it with the earth (which has a tendency to dry out) and it's
working a treat.[/quote]
Gardening in East Herts