Old 20-11-2009, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris[_3_] Chris[_3_] is offline

Default Garllic too deep

In article , Pam Moore
writes
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 23:13:08 +0000, Ed ex@directory wrote:
Did I plant my garlic too deep?
As instructed on the pack, I planted them so that the top of each clove
was 2 inches below ground.
That was 4 weeks or ago (early October).. But there are no shoots showing.
Have I killed them? Or do I just have to wait?
I was hoping to get them established before the freezy cold weather sets in.

First the bulbs make roots. You may not see any top growth for some
time. Be patient! You did the right thing.
Pam in Bristol

I thought "two inches deep" meant that the *bottoms* of the cloves
should be at that depth!

Why don't they say what they mean?

So the tops of mine were just below the surface.

But they are four inches high now and look healthy.

How critical is planting depth?
--
Chris