Old 21-11-2009, 05:03 PM
theowls theowls is offline
Registered User

Default Which Soil?

Hi All

Recently built raised beds (quite deep and long) and need to fill them for plants and shrubs (not herbs or veg). Will require 2-3 tonnes of soil to fill the beds - but what sort of soil should I be looking to use? Will normal topsoil suffice or should I use blended topsoil, blended loam...help!

How do I know I will be purchasing decent quality soil? Can anyone recommend a decent source/supplier in the Berkshire region.

Should I use richer soil/compost blend around the roots of the shrubs and plants?

Any advice would be most appreciated.