Old 21-11-2009, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default More gales...

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 08:34:36 +0000, Aries

wrote:

We have a surplus to requirements plastic cat toilet that would probably
make a
chicken a lovely home. Any reason why a cheap cat toilet is not suitable
for
housing a chicken?
--

If you are trying to be stupid you are making a good job of it.

Sorry, Martin, I failed to see the irony of your post at the time. Please
forgive me for being so rude.
I suppose it shows you the depth of my feelings about Eglus.
A company has jumped on the bandwagon to take advantage of the resurgence of
interest in chicken keeping to tell newbies that they can keep chickens in a
small plastic hut with a tiny run attached which they sell for a lot of
money.
Instead of paying 200 plus for an Eglu, get a cheap garden shed 6 x 4, put
some perches and nestboxes in and make a pophole. Even I was able to do
this.

Plastic huts are a recipe for respiratory diseases in the winter as they
attract condensation when the birds spend so much time in them overnight.

Judith is quite right - don't start me on Eglus.

I hear that the same company is going to market plastic beehives as they've
noticed an upsurge in interest about beekeeping.

I do not keep bees, but my friend does and she says a plastic beehive will
not work.
But what does that matter when a profit is to be made?

Tina