Old 21-11-2009, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil Gurr Phil Gurr is offline

Default More gales...

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
I hear that the same company is going to market plastic beehives as
they've noticed an upsurge in interest about beekeeping.

I do not keep bees, but my friend does and she says a plastic beehive will
not work.
But what does that matter when a profit is to be made?

Depends on the type of plastic. A commercial beekeeping company near me has
used polystyrene hives for many years with great success. Up here in the
northern highlands of Scotland, the extra insulation of polystyrene is a
definate advantage in the winter although they are more damage prone

Phil
(beekeeper)