Old 22-11-2009, 06:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ewa Szulc Ewa Szulc is offline

Default What is this plant...

Simple rule for making them bloom is not moving the pot starting from
summer befor ethey start to set to buds.
If you move the pot, all buds will drop - no excuse and no help.
Many years of experience with this plant.
Greetings,

On Nov 22, 6:18*am, wrote:
"Nelly Wensdow" writes:
The leaves (stems) are neither wide nor flat, but thanks for guessing. I
suppose I would've described if I'd known the picture was so poor it
could've been mistaken for Schlumbergera.
The mature stem segments are about 2 - 2.5" each, average 1cm wide, are
"angularly cylindrical" with four deep ribs, and have stiffened tufts of
scant hairs. Flowers are terminal, and in my case in both senses of the
word. I was so looking forward to seeing what they looked
like - if for no other reason than to at least identify it! I'm so
disappointed & want to know what I did wrong. The RH in here isn't much
above 40%, but I had brought it indoors at least 6 weeks before there was
any sign of budding. For a great many plants that's long enough to acclimate
themselves, isn't it? The buds grew to only about 5mm, got nice & pink then
easily fell off when I only barely moved the pot.

In comparison to the Christmas Cactus in the original picture,
here are 3 of ours. *The leaf shape is pretty clear on the plant
on the bottom.

All three show blooming on one side of the plant at a time.
The blooming side is to the front while other sides are developing buds.

This works out well for us, the plant blooms for months.

When we had them in a south facing window they'd bloom all at once.