Old 22-11-2009, 02:15 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambling Marge View Post
Ok, new idea. These grubs seem too big to be vine weevils; after more research I'm pretty sure these are cockchafer larvae. Pests and root-eaters, the lot of them. What should I do?
Hi Marge, IMHO 2cm. long is too big for vine weevil larvae and when I first read your post cockchafer grubs were the 'beasties' that sprang to my mind.
Whilst they will do alot of dammage, they have to be there in really big numbers! some while ago they were really doing dammage at my local golf club, and when they were digging an area to see what the problem was the number of grubs was unbelievable. So, IMO if you have physically removed all the larvae that you can see, I think you should be OK as where as vine weevil have an annual life cycle, cockchafer I think take 2-3 years to mature.
Best Wishes from 'rambling' Coenwall