Old 22-11-2009, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] despen@verizon.net is offline

Default What is this plant...

writes:

"Nelly Wensdow" writes:

The leaves (stems) are neither wide nor flat, but thanks for guessing. I
suppose I would've described if I'd known the picture was so poor it
could've been mistaken for Schlumbergera.
The mature stem segments are about 2 - 2.5" each, average 1cm wide, are
"angularly cylindrical" with four deep ribs, and have stiffened tufts of
scant hairs. Flowers are terminal, and in my case in both senses of the
word. I was so looking forward to seeing what they looked
like - if for no other reason than to at least identify it! I'm so
disappointed & want to know what I did wrong. The RH in here isn't much
above 40%, but I had brought it indoors at least 6 weeks before there was
any sign of budding. For a great many plants that's long enough to acclimate
themselves, isn't it? The buds grew to only about 5mm, got nice & pink then
easily fell off when I only barely moved the pot.

In comparison to the Christmas Cactus in the original picture,
here are 3 of ours. The leaf shape is pretty clear on the plant
on the bottom.

All three show blooming on one side of the plant at a time.
The blooming side is to the front while other sides are developing buds.

This works out well for us, the plant blooms for months.

When we had them in a south facing window they'd bloom all at once.

Gee... did I leave out the URL?

Meant to include:

http://mysite.verizon.net/despen/xmas_cactus.jpg