Old 23-11-2009, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

Default Garllic too deep

On 22/11/09 04:41, uriel13 wrote:
Ed;869818 Wrote:
Did I plant my garlic too deep?

As instructed on the pack, I planted them so that the top of each clove

was 2 inches below ground.

That was 4 weeks or ago (early October).. But there are no shoots
showing.

Have I killed them? Or do I just have to wait?

I was hoping to get them established before the freezy cold weather
sets in.

Ed

Hi Ed,
Nothing to worry about, as long as your soil is not clay
bound they will be ok.

With the amount or rain we have been getting clay soils will be totally
saturated with surface water, and this is the real danger. Soil drainage
is the most important thing in ensuring that your cloves don’t rot in
the water laden soil.

When the first foliage shows through the soil is dependant on several
factors:-

The fertility of the soil in which they are planted.

When planted, this is best done last 2 weeks in October when the
weather is usually mild, this will encourage root growth.

The position in which they are planted, they do best in soil which gets
the early spring sunshine.

Cloves which show foliage before winter sets in tend to produce larger
bulbs come harvest time.

When planting my own garlic I use a bulb planter to make a hole about 6
inches deep. Into this I lightly pack my own kitchen compost. From
experience I have found that 1 inch deep to the tip of the clove is
sufficient but this is a personal preference.

Garlic likes rich compost full of banana skins, vegetable peel, fruit
peel etc., and contrary to accepted wisdom I don’t let weeds be they
annual or perennial anywhere near my compost bin ,I burn them.

At the end of the day the compost you reap is the compost you sow.

PS:- Always douse potato peel with boiling water or you will end up
with potato growth in your compost bin. Likewise with onion, cut of the
root end before despatching to your bin.

I hope this has been of some comfort and help to you with regard to the
subject as stated.

uriel

Thank you for that. Very much appreciated.