Old 24-11-2009, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Opinions on "Indoor Allotment" Idea

"R" wrote ...
Given that there is (reportedly) a shortage of allotments around the UK
generally, and that with the overall demise of garden space urbanwise what
say the group about the idea of division of a very large ex-commercial
greenhouse into "units" for people to use ?

Thus far my idea is divide the existing 200ft x 80ft greenhouse into 10ft
square "plots", dividing if required by walls of tarpaulin or somesuch
with the front of the greenhouse as a shop/sales area for produce etc
(Already exists in reality).

Would there be problems with cross pollination and other issues?

Suggestions and constructive criticism welcome.

Excellent idea, I'd love a plot for the chillies etc, but there are a few
issues I foresee..

Everyone will have to walk through each others plots to get to theirs.
Will everyone use the same amount of chemicals to control pests at the same
time?
(It would have to be all organic or all not)
Will everyone keep their plots to the same level of cleanliness?

There will need to be a strong Management Committee with strong rules!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden