Old 24-11-2009, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback[_2_] Broadback[_2_] is offline

Default Mice blasted mice

Sowed a row of broad beans a couple of weeks ago lots of neat holes
along the row. Sowed the replacement beans in paraffin and resowed. At
the same time I placed three mouse traps baited with peanut butter. Went
down this am a few more holes along the bean row and all three traps
gone. going down the garden to the compost heap I found one trap about
15 meters from its original position and over a 4ft fence. Is it a
reasonable assumption to think that some bird/s of prey have snaffled
the dead mice and taken the traps with them?

I suppose it's possible. Is it an allotment or a garden?
I guess it's equally possible something like a cat or fox has caught
itself in your trap and been unable to remove them?

Anyhow, at least your mice are sticking to the outdoors. We've trapped
(nasty snappy traps, unfortunately - tried humanely throwing them out on
the compost heap for them to be back next day!) 2 so far, plus one that
must have been hit by the trap then crawled off to die (and make a
stinky smell in my pan cupboard!)

It is a large garden. I have not seen any sign of foxes since I "rabbit
proofed" the garden with chicken wire. Still whatever it was I need to
buy some more traps. This time I think I will drill a hole in the base
and peg them to the ground, see how that goes.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.