Old 24-11-2009, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mark mark is offline

Default Opinions on "Indoor Allotment" Idea

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"R" wrote in message
Given that there is (reportedly) a shortage of allotments around the UK
generally, and that with the overall demise of garden space urbanwise
what say the group about the idea of division of a very large
ex-commercial greenhouse into "units" for people to use ?

Thus far my idea is divide the existing 200ft x 80ft greenhouse into
10ft square "plots", dividing if required by walls of tarpaulin or
somesuch with the front of the greenhouse as a shop/sales area for
produce etc (Already exists in reality).

Would there be problems with cross pollination and other issues?

Suggestions and constructive criticism welcome.

bigger plots= less people = less arguments?

mark

and on Marks recommendations, two walkways of four feet width 24 feet
apart down length of the greenhouse leaving 3 x beds 24 feet long across
the greenhouse, divided x 10 feet wide = 60 plots

Still sounds like a lot of people. I doubt all would have cars and all would
turn up at once, but the car parking issue would need addressing.

mark