Old 24-11-2009, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Opinions on "Indoor Allotment" Idea

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"R" wrote in message
Given that there is (reportedly) a shortage of allotments around the UK
generally, and that with the overall demise of garden space urbanwise
what say the group about the idea of division of a very large
ex-commercial greenhouse into "units" for people to use ?

Thus far my idea is divide the existing 200ft x 80ft greenhouse into
10ft square "plots", dividing if required by walls of tarpaulin or
somesuch with the front of the greenhouse as a shop/sales area for
produce etc (Already exists in reality).

Would there be problems with cross pollination and other issues?

Suggestions and constructive criticism welcome.

bigger plots= less people = less arguments?

mark

and on Marks recommendations, two walkways of four feet width 24 feet
apart down length of the greenhouse leaving 3 x beds 24 feet long across
the greenhouse, divided x 10 feet wide = 60 plots

Still sounds like a lot of people. I doubt all would have cars and all
would turn up at once, but the car parking issue would need addressing.

mark

Car Parking was one of the first things I raised, AND change of use with
Planning

My gut reaction is that it is not a viable proposition.

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk