Old 24-11-2009, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Opinions on "Indoor Allotment" Idea

On 2009-11-24 06:24:53 +0000, "R" said:

Given that there is (reportedly) a shortage of allotments around the UK
generally, and that with the overall demise of garden space urbanwise what
say the group about the idea of division of a very large ex-commercial
greenhouse into "units" for people to use ?

Thus far my idea is divide the existing 200ft x 80ft greenhouse into 10ft
square "plots", dividing if required by walls of tarpaulin or somesuch with
the front of the greenhouse as a shop/sales area for produce etc (Already
exists in reality).

Would there be problems with cross pollination and other issues?

Suggestions and constructive criticism welcome.

Very, very basically, you would have to have people who really
understood the use of large greenhouse areas. Without wishing to be
pessimistic, I can foresee arguments over pest control and opening the
vents or closing the vents or which crop needs how much
water/humidity/heat/direct sun, etc.
--
Sacha