Old 25-11-2009, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Mice blasted mice

On 2009-11-24 16:47:44 +0000, Aries
said:

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:58:25 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Sowed a row of broad beans a couple of weeks ago lots of neat holes
along the row. Sowed the replacement beans in paraffin and resowed. At
the same time I placed three mouse traps baited with peanut butter. Went
down this am a few more holes along the bean row and all three traps
gone. going down the garden to the compost heap I found one trap about
15 meters from its original position and over a 4ft fence. Is it a
reasonable assumption to think that some bird/s of prey have snaffled
the dead mice and taken the traps with them?

I had most of my early broad beans dug up last year - but by squirrels !
and
also a cock pheasant!

We've had a cock pheasant on the lawn scrounging peanuts, just recently.
They're shameless!

I sow our broad beans, and other beans in pots and then plant out. That way
there are no gaps in the row.

Steve