Old 25-11-2009, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default More gales...

"Aries" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 22:50:50 -0000, Christina Websell wrote:

Instead of paying 200 plus for an Eglu, get a cheap garden shed 6 x 4,
put
some perches and nestboxes in and make a pophole. Even I was able to do
this.

this is what we did at our last place when we had hens. But for a small
garden like this one I'd prefer a movable ark but would need to be a one
that is easily moved and wooden ones tend to be heavy
--

You can get wooden arks with wheels and handles on and runs that re-attach
easily after you've moved it (if not safe to free range.)
Alternatively you can make a pop-hole in each end of the shed, provide two
runs and use them alternately.
Or if free of daytime foxes, leave off the run and let them out of their
nice shed. If the weather is really bad you can keep a few hens inside
without making them stir crazy for quite a few days. As long as they have
plenty to scratch around in on the floor, they will be quite happy.
If I were a chicken (which I am not!) I don't think I'd like to live in an
Eglu for a few days, they are far too small and not at all suitable. IMO.
The thing is that chickens are able to survive horrendous circumstances
(battery farms) and they still lay. It can lead us to believe that's all
they need.
Well, that is true. They can survive it.
I guess I could also survive shut in my small bathroom if someone fed and
watered me. My life would be sh*t though.

Tina