Old 25-11-2009, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Fungus Identification Help Please

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...

"Spider" wrote

Try googling on "orange peel fungus". It is a fungus associated with
bare ground - clay especially. If it's not that, is it possible you
could post a pic so we could get a better idea?

Thanks Spider
The bare clay ground fits sure enough.
The stuff I'm seeing looks like the bits in the bottom right of this
pictu
http://www.haworth-village.org.uk/na...ts.asp?pic=332
although it's very flat to the ground.
There's masses of it, but none is larger than 12mm diameter and it is all
flat with no curling or cupping.

You could try Googling for images of the following, maybe it could be one of
them:

Neotiella rutilans (syn. Peziza rutilans) - saucer-shaped, up to 1.5 cm.
Scutellinia umbrarum; Scutellinia scutellata (Eyelash fungus); - these are
quite flat and around 1 cm in dia.
Sarcoscypha coccinia (Scarlet Elf Cup); Aleuria aurantia (Orange peel
fungus) - these are up to 5 and 10 cm dia, and cup-shaped, not flat.