Old 25-11-2009, 09:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Bob Williams[_3_] Bob Williams[_3_] is offline

Default Need ID on this Pic

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote ...
"Bob Williams" wrote ...
I shot this Pic at the Arboretum in Balboa Park (San Diego).
I forgot to write down the name of the plant.
One of you ALWAYS comes up with the right answer.......Whatzit?

I've seen that, possibly at Kew, nearest I could find was Scadoxus
puniceus alba but I'm not convinced about the leaves.

Just knew it was a South African Bulb.

Finally found it... Haemanthus albiflos

http://www.smgrowers.com/products/pl...?plant_id=2251

Bingo! That's it, for sure.
I don't know how you do it, but you can always ID even the most exotic
and esoteric plants.
I wouldn't even know where to start looking.
San Marcos Nursery is just about 40 miles North of here.
I'll bet the Arboretum got their specimen from the Nursery.

Thanks a bunch..................Bob