Old 17-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Dave Chalton

Default Newbie: Growing chillies indoors

Vaguely off-topic, since I'm now going down the greenhouse route,so
not really indoor, but what the hey!

Got the first flower open on this years plants today, so thats roughly
two months from planting I think. I'm interested to know how this
compares to other areas of the UK and elsewhere, as I'm trying to find
the optimum sowing date for a long fruiting season - my part of
South-West Scotland does not favour greenhouse growing beyond about
October, unless the plants are parafin/kerosene addicts! Indoors last
year had chiles ripening through to Christmas.

No doubt in a "normal" year, they wouldn't be doing so well, but for
the last two months or so we've had unseasonably warm weather - 23C
today, and sunny - apart from the smoke of burning forestry, the
downside to many many weeks of no rain.

Another query - obviously different breeds behave differently in terms
of the number of fruit they carry, and the amount of flowers etc, but
I wondered what is an average for small-fruited varieties which grow
very tall plants? Yes, its vague I know, but the plant grew from a
bought chile, so i've no idea what sort it is. The fruit are about 2cm
long by 5 or 6mm diameter, orangy red whilst dry, and currently a very
pale green on the plant. They are held upwards, and the flowers are in
clusters of around ten per node. The plant is currently about 4.5 feet
tall, but I've cut out the tips to stop it taking over even more. It
has 80ish fruit currently growing, and a further 150-odd flowers/buds.

Any ideas gratfully recieved.

Cheers

Dave