Old 27-11-2009, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
gardengal gardengal is offline

Default Norway spruce

On Nov 27, 1:38*am, billwilliams billwilliams.
wrote:
Hello. Four years ago I planted a christmas tree in the garden. At the
time it was 6ft tall, it has now reached around 12ft.

If I cut the top six feet off the tree, will it recover?

Many thanks

--
billwilliams

It will likely live, at least for awhile, but it will look like c**p!
Conifers that are topped - and removing the top half of a tree is
considered 'topping' - develop awkward growth habits that can seldom
be corrected. They are also more prone to disease and insect issues
when they suffer this type of abuse. If you were attempting to keep it
small - "hedged" - you needed to start this process immediately after
planting, removing any new growth and keeping the leader trimmed back.
What you are proposing now is too radical a method and would
jeopardize the long term health of the tree. If it is too big for its
current location consider transplanting or removal rather than
whacking it in half. You'll not be happy with the result.