Old 27-11-2009, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Norway spruce

billwilliams wrote:

Four years ago I planted a christmas tree in the garden. At the
time it was 6ft tall, it has now reached around 12ft.

If I cut the top six feet off the tree, will it recover?

A Chanukah bush... circumcised! LOL

If you cut it, within a year it will send up a new leader and in four
years will be 12' tall again... only it likely won't look very
symetrical.

Didn't you know that a Norway spruce can easily and quickly attain a
height of 70' X 30' wide and more. Spruce can be pruned of half its
growth each year to keep it more compact but at 12' it's a bit late
now.

Have it removed and plant something that won't grow larger than you
want and/or have space. There are many varieties of spruce and other
conefirs that are suitable for holiday decorating that grow very
slowly and don't grow very large.

I planted a Fat Albert to decorate for the holidays. It should attain
a height of 25' and I have the space but it is very slow growing, I
seriously doubt I'll be here by then.

My Fat Albert was just under 6' when I planted it nearly two years
ago, it's a bit over 6' now... those trees in the background are all
Norway spruce:
http://i49.tinypic.com/116oz6t.jpg

Check for examples of various conefirs he
http://www.iseli-nursery.com/photopa...sFatAlbert.htm