Old 28-11-2009, 04:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jean B. Jean B. is offline

Default Is it just

Gardenjunkie wrote:
Is it just me getting old or is Christmas getting earlier evey year.

And are Garden Centres now just retail outlets for seasonal goodies?

Every year shops display their Christmas wears for all to see earlier
and earlier. They put up their decorations, it seems like just after
Easter.

Go to a Garden Center for something to do with gardening and what do
you find. Millions of Christmas trees, no roots so you can't plant
them, rows of shelves full of Christmas decorations, stacks of tacky so
called Christmas presents.

But not a seed tray, pot or compost in sight.

And to top it all, piped Christmas carols and hymns, you know the ones
you really hate but are humming to youeself days after.
Aggggggghhhh!!!

Yup, I think its just me - getting old and sad.

All the best
Gardenjunkie

One good thing, IMO, is that one can get some plants that can be
hard to find. I just found some cranberry bushes in 1-qt
containers. Since they were on the list of plants I want, I got
them all.

Also, little hollies. The problem with them is that there are
only females for the obvious reason.

I was kid-of hacked off when I was told that the little trees
(junipers--for that matter, most of these things need labels)
could not be planted outside. So what is the point of getting a
living tree if that is the case?

But yeah. I have been prowling the nurseries looking for normal
things, and there is almost nothing right now.

--
Jean B.