Old 29-11-2009, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
Lelandite Lelandite is offline

Default Is it just

Madgarnener, I love you. That's all I want to say...I love you
and your wonderful rant.

Donna
in WA

"madgardener" wrote in message
On Nov 28, 11:27 am, wrote:
Gardenjunkie writes:
Is it just me getting old or is Christmas getting earlier evey year.

It's not just you.

And are Garden Centres now just retail outlets for seasonal goodies?

Every year shops display their Christmas wears for all to see earlier
and earlier. They put up their decorations, it seems like just after
Easter.

Go to a Garden Center for something to do with gardening and what do
you find. Millions of Christmas trees, no roots so you can't plant
them, rows of shelves full of Christmas decorations, stacks of tacky so
called Christmas presents.

But not a seed tray, pot or compost in sight.

And to top it all, piped Christmas carols and hymns, you know the ones
you really hate but are humming to youeself days after.
Aggggggghhhh!!!

Yup, I think its just me - getting old and sad.

I think it's people in sales. I don't know what it is with them, but
they compulsively push their products beyond all reason.

My pet peeve is TV. They now run commericails for their other shows
almost non-stop, right on the screen as another show is in progress.
The commerical breaks weren't enough.

This year we had Christmas stuff on the shelves in our supermarket
before Halloween.

I agree with all of you as I peek over the fence. It's the higher
folks up in sales who have learned through all the time that has
passed in the last few decades, that pushing things earlier might mean
more sales for them. (for example, where I grew up, in Nashville, we
had a few smart department stores who decided to have a small
"Christmas in July" sale downtown where all the department stores used
to be, for that small amount of people who actually did their
Christmas shopping that early to get it out of the way. And then they
had what they used to advertise city wide as NEVD (Nashville Extra
Value Days) when ALL of the stores had HUGE savings because kids USED
to return to school the day after Labor day, so the week or two before
that, the whole city had that sale going on. it was as crazy with
frenzied mom's as Black Friday was yesterday. I remember my own mom
getting out the layaway clothes she'd been putting back during summer
for my newer school attire. Shoes were purchased strictly during NEVD
because of the huge savings mom could get. (and some department
stores like Harvey's and J.C. Penny's and Little Sisters knocked off
additional percentage of the layaway amount left to get mom's to get
their stuff out sooner) Mom usually got my shoes at a place called
the Family Bootery.LOL
But me English husband noticed this year in one of the box stores that
we frequented too often for home repair things needed, that they had
really neat Halloween displays, around AUGUST!!! I remember he asked
me if it was October already, why was it so bloody HOT?? I also
noticed Christmas decorations going up and onto the shelves here in
some places the second week of September.......it saddened me
tremendously. Takes all the enjoyment of the season out for me
personally let alone this long warm weather we've been having that has
caused a lot of the local trees to not turn their leaves as quickly as
others have here where we are now.
And your pet peeve is MY pet peeve as well. I not only hate the
CONTINUAL advertisements on up and coming programs, next month's
programs, next weeks update on whatever, or even a sister channel's
programming, but it's now all lumped into the whole visual thing so
that I'm trying to see the actual program while trying to ignore the
station's icon, the ad's running to the left of the screen, and the
minuscule amount of actual program that they run before 10 minutes
later it's another bloody commercial, but not one or two or even three
commercials, but as many mini commercials and ads as they can!
William Shatner did a brilliant song about that....I can't get behind
that" off his album he did with Ben Folds. Awesome CD.

It's not as bad on just regular T.V. it seems worse on cable and
satellite programming. I counted nine commercials at the half hour
mark on an "hour" program one night. sigh..........

back behind the bushes with me! Hope everyone had a very nice roast
beast day for those who celebrate it. Garden note for those waiting
for a gardening subject to pop out.....my holly bush has red berries
on it.....there are still mum's blooming and my Black and Blue salvia
still has flowers as well. Some glazed pots of sedums are blooming
all over themselves but no bumblies to pollinate and enjoy the late
bounty. All the California poppy seeds I sowed have germinated and
have their fourth set of ferny leaves. Hens and chicks haven't
hunkered down for winter, and as of now, November 28th, I still
haven't brought inside the few cacti and succulents and tender African
plants I have remaining for winter. They're sitting in their holding
area sulking after the unexpected frost we got night before last (they
were covered in several sheets......but cold concrete is still cold
concrete regardless of sheltering by a roof and part of a house from
just being totally exposed. (a covered car porch of sorts next to the
actual house).

madgardener gardening in zone 7 Sunset zone unknown yet ducking
behind a crape myrtle