Old 29-11-2009, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Castor Oil Plant

On 2009-11-29 13:23:43 +0000, John Griffiths said:

I have a castor oil plant that grew too big for a house plant and so I
put it in the garden 3 years ago. Since then it has flourished even
though I didn't expect it to survive outdoors.

Now it is about 4' high and for the first time has what look like
flowers and seed pods. What do I do now - just wait until the frost
comes or pick the pods/cut them off or protect them. I am at a loss !

You can see a photo on http://www.johngriffiths.co.uk/castor.htm

Any help would be appreciated

I think that's a Fatsia japonica. Look up the two on Google imaging.
Ricinus communis is the castor oil plant and it's very poisonous btw.
It's usually grown as an annual here because it doesn't survive our
winters, which is another reason to think you've got a Fatsia there.
In favourable conditions, they will survive. I'd leave it alone to do
its own thing and throw a bit of horticultural fleece over it if you
expect frosts. But if it's done 3 years in the garden and came through
last year, I doubt you or it have anything to worry about! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com