Old 30-11-2009, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Miltonia potting.

Hi K,

You've given me a lot to digest. Just a quick question or two, how do I tell
when it's sprouting new roots without taking it out of the pot? I'm still a
little confused about my earlier question. Can I take the plant out of the
pot to inspect it, and if it's in good condition, replace it with the same
bark and soil? In other words, can I reuse the old mixture until I get a
chance to buy some new mix?

Thanks for your reply.

While I am loathe to tell you what to do because I firmly believe that
no one can tell you how to grow your orchids because they can't guess
what your unique conditions may be. That said:

IMHO take the Miltonia out of the "soi/bark" you have it in and put it
in fine bark, probably in a plastic pot then slip that pot in the pretty
blue pot you have it in in order to improve the air/moisture ratio. And
that air moisture ratio is different for everyone, its something you
have to learn for yourself at the cost of several dead plants.

New roots arise from any new growth, the new growth appears first, the
roots second (usually). In oncidiums (Oncidium Alliance which Miltonia
belongs to) I believe the new growth starts then the roots appear
sometime afterwards. The new growth appears slightly above or to the
side of the old growth so you should be able to see the new growth and
new roots unless you've potted your plant too deep in the potting
medium. Do not bury the rhizome, it should be at or slightly above the
surface of the potting medium.

Again, IMHO you don't risk much in repotting orchids at any time because
there are no fine hairs to damage like with all other plant roots. All
other plants have root hairs that you try not to ruin because then the
plant can't uptake nutrient. Orchid roots are different. If one is
careful one can repot an orchid at almost any time. Optimal repotting
time is when new roots are appearing. But your orchid isn't like that.
IMHO your orchid is stressed, in an improper medium and should be
repotted in fine bark. But what do I know? You are in LA. I'm up here
in the SF Bay Area. You may want to continue experimenting with your
medium. Fine! Good! Mahzeltov! All I'm saying is you have to read
your plants with your eyes. They are trying to talk to you. This one
did better when you followed a vendor's advice and put it in bark.

If you have access to any bookstore or Home Depot try and find a copy of
the Ortho book 'All About Growing Orchids' (this may not be the exact
title but it will be something similar) This will be a cheap, accurate,
handy resource for basic skills.

K Barrett