Old 29-11-2009, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default rain rain go away...

On 2009-11-29 21:42:59 +0000, "Spider" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
snip

I would like to grow
Eremurus, too but they never do well here at all.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I would have thought Eremurus would love your mild climate. Mind you, now
that I come to think of it, they wouldn't enjoy your wet weather very much!
Since they like it well-drained, could you plant some in the rain-shelter of
your 'Thunbergia' wall in gritty earth banked up against said wall? Orange
Eremurus might make interesting bedfellows for the orange Thunbergia.

Spider

It's the wet that does for them. ;-( We can't bank anything up
against that wall because it's the slated wall of the house - the
kitchen, office and drawing room windows are in that 'run', if you can
remember that at all. When our garden is wet, it's very, very wet and
when it's dry, etc. etc. We can grow a lot of things that need
draining well in the bed behind the tea room but as there are mature
trees there, they can be too shaded. Ah well, if all was ideal,
there'd be no point in gardening, really. ;-) We might try them in a
car park border, perhaps...hmmmm..