Old 30-11-2009, 05:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Castor Oil Plant

"John Griffiths" wrote in message
I have a castor oil plant that grew too big for a house plant and so I put
it in the garden 3 years ago. Since then it has flourished even though I
didn't expect it to survive outdoors.

Now it is about 4' high and for the first time has what look like flowers
and seed pods. What do I do now - just wait until the frost comes or pick
the pods/cut them off or protect them. I am at a loss !

You can see a photo on http://www.johngriffiths.co.uk/castor.htm

If it's the castor oil plant that goes by the botanical name of Ricinus
communis, then you should take all the flower heads off before they set seed
as they are highly poisonous.