Old 30-11-2009, 10:42 AM
traveler123 traveler123 is offline
Registered User

Location: Durham UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenjunkie View Post
Is it just me getting old or is Christmas getting earlier evey year.

And are Garden Centres now just retail outlets for seasonal goodies?

Every year shops display their Christmas wears for all to see earlier and earlier. They put up their decorations, it seems like just after Easter.

Go to a Garden Center for something to do with gardening and what do you find. Millions of Christmas trees, no roots so you can't plant them, rows of shelves full of Christmas decorations, stacks of tacky so called Christmas presents.

But not a seed tray, pot or compost in sight.

And to top it all, piped Christmas carols and hymns, you know the ones you really hate but are humming to youeself days after. Aggggggghhhh!!!

Yup, I think its just me - getting old and sad.

All the best
Gardenjunkie
When I first tapped into this post the computer didnt show your full thread. Now I have read it I am a bit upset by your comments. Not all garden centres sell tacky decorations or trees with no roots. There are certain establishements and good garden centres all over the UK that sell seed trays, pots and compost as well as fantastic Christmas stock. Garden Centres have to stock Christmas items. It is as simple as that. They have to put on Christmas displays. If they dont then they lose customers. It is as simple as that. We would never subject our customers to tacky music and most UK garden centre owners would say the same. It is comments like this that destroy the reputaion of good garden centres and send people to other (unmentionable)large retail outlets that do sell cheap tacky products and undercut good honest retailers.
I also have to raise the issue you have with piped music in garden centres. What is wrong with festive music playing whilst you shop? As long as it is not being played too loudly or being repeated over and over again I would prefer this to endless adverts for products in the garden centre. Are you anti Christmas altogether or just anti Garden Centres? We are in the middle of a recession and Garden Centres are being effected as much as everyone, if not more so. Garden Centres like ourselves have worked hard not to display tacky Christmas stiock and have spent a lot of time ensuring our customers experience is enhanced not disrupted. We have had nothing but wonderful comments.
I agree that some garden centres start too early with the Christmas sales, but you can not tar everyone with the same brush