Old 30-11-2009, 12:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray B[_2_] Ray B[_2_] is offline

Default Miltonia potting.

David.

The rhizome on sympodial orchids can be the elongated structure you are
expecting, or as is the case in your miltonia, so short that it is
merely the connection between pseudobulbs.

Looking at the photos, it appears that you really have no appreciable
viable roots left on that thing, due to suffocation of them in the old
potting medium. Quite frankly, I think it's a goner.

If you do want to attempt to recover it, I would echo Kathy's
recommendation on the fine bark, and add that you're going to need to
keep the plant shady, warm, and VERY humid in an attempt to get it to
recover.

Miltonias (I really think it is likely a miltoniopsis), having those
very thin leaves, can become desiccated very quickly, and with no roots
to absorb moisture, cannot replenish the moisture loss. By keeping it
in maximum relative humidity, you slow that drying process, possibly
giving it time to form a new growth and have that get established with
new roots before the entire plant gives up the ghost.

Ray Barkalow - First Rays LLC - www.firstrays.com
Orchid Plants, Supplies, Equipment, Books
Artwork, Free Services & Lots of Info!