Old 30-11-2009, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
newsb newsb is offline

Default Drat - Vine Weevils!

In article , Spider
writes
Despite the rain, I went out to do a little job in the garden. Instead of
doing that job, I saw a very sad plant which needed some attention. The
plant was a once *beautiful* yellow Primula bulleyana which I'd bought on
holiday. It was magnificent! That same plant appeared collapsed and, when
I investigated, there were about 50 vine weevil larvae in the crown and
rootball of the plant. There is almost nothing left, and I doubt that that
'almost nothing' will survive. I will see what can be done, but it's not
hopeful. Boo hoo :~((

The birds are very happy though. They got an unexpected feast of plump
wriggly things .... I just got soaked to the skin, chilled through and fed
up for .. yup, bird food! :~(

I squelched my way indoors and hubby said "Did you get very wet, dear?"
Grrr!! It's just as well he made me a nice cup of tea :~).

I had the same problem with my Kiwi in the Spring. It was in a big pot
and I wanted to plant it against the house wall. Prepared the hole well
and took kiwi out of the pot - to find it crawling with horrible fat
things.

I spent a long time sifting them out to start with, but the main
rootball was quite tangled and I kept finding more - so in the end, I
took the hose to it and washed everything off - soil and weevils. I
didn't expect it to survive in the ground - but it has put on good
growth and plenty of foliage this year, so hopefully I got to it before
too much damage was done...

Not surprisingly there was no fruit - but then again it has never
fruited yet (Not sure how old it is - I've probably had it 3 years now,
so probably 4 or 5).

A propos nothing - we did have a fantastic crop of blueberries this
year

--
regards andyw