Old 17-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Newbie: Growing chillies indoors

"Dave wrote in message

Got the first flower open on this years plants today, so thats roughly
two months from planting I think.

Sounds about right, never actually timed them, and we grow ours outside
after germination etc in our little greenhouse. (bit further S. than you)
:-)
By Sept. we are normally expecting frost so we pull ours up then and pull
off the fruit which are mainly green. Freeze very well and without
blanching. We normally have enough from half a dozen plants to freeze for
ourselves for the year ahead, a supply to our neighbours, and a carrier bag
full left over for our favourite Indian Restaurant.

One thing you have to be very careful of, growing in a greenhouse, is that
the amount of water given to the plants affects the heat of the fruit. They
must have plenty of water especially in the fortnight leading up to picking
or they will be mild tasting no matter what the variety.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.
..