Old 30-11-2009, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Castor Oil Plant

On 2009-11-29 13:23:43 +0000, John Griffiths
said:

I have a castor oil plant that grew too big for a house plant and so I
put it in the garden 3 years ago. Since then it has flourished even
though I didn't expect it to survive outdoors.

Now it is about 4' high and for the first time has what look like
flowers and seed pods. What do I do now - just wait until the frost
comes or pick the pods/cut them off or protect them. I am at a loss !

You can see a photo on http://www.johngriffiths.co.uk/castor.htm

Any help would be appreciated

I think that's a Fatsia japonica.

I agree. I have one and have grown it from seed. It is sometimes called
the "False Castor Oil Plant" in US speak on the web. eg

http://www.letsgogardening.co.uk/PD/FatsiaJaponica.htm

Look up the two on Google imaging.
Ricinus communis is the castor oil plant and it's very poisonous btw.

And the variant most commonly grown is a dark metallic red leafed
cultivar. Greenish ones do exist but are not as handsome. It gets to 6'
and flowers in a single season. All parts of the plant are toxic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castor_oil_plant

It's usually grown as an annual here because it doesn't survive our
winters, which is another reason to think you've got a Fatsia there. In
favourable conditions, they will survive. I'd leave it alone to do its
own thing and throw a bit of horticultural fleece over it if you expect
frosts. But if it's done 3 years in the garden and came through last
year, I doubt you or it have anything to worry about! ;-)

I don't do anything to protect my Fatsia and it has lived happily in the
garden in North Yorkshire from the first year as a seedling. Grown to
about a 6' cube after about 15 years in flower now.

Regards,
Martin Brown