Old 30-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Gardenjunkie Gardenjunkie is offline
Registered User

Location: S. E. England

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler123 View Post
When I first tapped into this post the computer didnt show your full thread. Now I have read it I am a bit upset by your comments. Not all garden centres sell tacky decorations or trees with no roots. There are certain establishements and good garden centres all over the UK that sell seed trays, pots and compost as well as fantastic Christmas stock. Garden Centres have to stock Christmas items. It is as simple as that. They have to put on Christmas displays. If they dont then they lose customers. It is as simple as that. We would never subject our customers to tacky music and most UK garden centre owners would say the same. It is comments like this that destroy the reputaion of good garden centres and send people to other (unmentionable)large retail outlets that do sell cheap tacky products and undercut good honest retailers.
I also have to raise the issue you have with piped music in garden centres. What is wrong with festive music playing whilst you shop? As long as it is not being played too loudly or being repeated over and over again I would prefer this to endless adverts for products in the garden centre. Are you anti Christmas altogether or just anti Garden Centres? We are in the middle of a recession and Garden Centres are being effected as much as everyone, if not more so. Garden Centres like ourselves have worked hard not to display tacky Christmas stiock and have spent a lot of time ensuring our customers experience is enhanced not disrupted. We have had nothing but wonderful comments.
I agree that some garden centres start too early with the Christmas sales, but you can not tar everyone with the same brush
Sorry if I upset you, or anyone else for that matter, that was not my intention.

Its just the way I see things and I have to say most of my friends are in agreement.

I guess you have a vested interest in Garden Centers and possibly a biased view, which I do not have a problem with. You have the same rights as I have to say it as you see it.

My defination of a Gareden Center is in the title "Garden Center".

Now gardening to me doe's not include Christmas decorations, gifts, cards, Christmas trees, etc., etc.

The worst point about the gifts Garden Centers display is they have absolutely nothing to do with gardening.

So I rest my case and stick to my guns.

I hope this has not upset you.

All the best
Gardenjunkie